Here is my entry for Made By Rae’s Spring Top Week. It’s my own design, or designS as it went through about four until there was so little material left to work with I was forced to accept things and be done with it. I started out thinking to make a fitted tee, and it evolved into what it is now.
The material is a jersey knit from the red tag section at JoAnn.
I did a Henley opening. I used one inch grosgrain ribbon to bind the neckline and to make a button placket (the ribbon is folded over, bias tape style) and some 1/4 inch grosgrain as a small detail at the end of the button placket-area-place-whatever.
There is also ribbon separating the main body of the top from a lower band, with a little gathering where the main piece meets the ribbon.
I was most nervous about doing sleeves without a pattern. But they actually turned out really well. I did a slight gather to them so they puff just barely.
Also, I did some fitting at the bust, or my lack of. See the dart? Fancy, fancy.
It is a little shorter than I wanted. But as I said, I ran out of fabric after chopping into the thing a few times. I just have to layer a white tank underneath and problem solved. Modesty achieved.
I wore it all day Saturday and I’m happy with it. My neighbor came over and I told her I’d made it. She said she would have never suspected. She didn’t actually say she liked it, but I could see it in her eyes.
I have been working on a pocket assignment, believe it or not. I’m hoping to have it done by Wednesday, but assignments are getting more complicated and so we’ll see. Wednesday is also the start of the sleeve section in The Book, which falls so nicely in with the timing of Made by Rae’s Spring Top Week. And with that we’ve come full circle, so I’ll sign out here so I can go play with some cute boys and scrub some toilets.