My husband and I found ourselves with very little to do this morning. No work, the kids were occupied, no one was coming over, you know how it is. So we broke out the Saran Wrap and duct tape and headed up to our bedroom. Two hours later, we had made something special and it kind of looks like me.
Parts of me anyway. It also reminds me a little of this.
In case you’re worried, confused, or both, it’s a duct tape dress form.
We followed this tutorial from Threads with some changes. We used Saran Wrap instead of a loose fitting tee shirt underneath the duct tape. It made for a very cold and sweaty experience. But I wanted a better fit than an oversized tee shirt would allow for. I also wanted it to include my thighs, though now I’m not sure why. It turned out to be a huge pain and I probably won’t even ever need them. Oh, well.
To stuff the thing I used anything and everything I could think of. I started with that spray foam stuff for cracks. But after two full cans, we weren’t even mid-torso. After going through nearly every room in my house, including the garage, looking for what else I had on hand to use, the rest of the filling consists of plastic grocery bags, fabric scraps, poly-fil and some shredded foam that I think may have been left by the previous homeowners.
The final thing I did differently was I wrapped it in a really thin quilt batting. I used spray adhesive and pulled it as tight as I could. I wanted to smooth things out and I also wanted a pinnable surface.
I plan on covering it in a jersey knit eventually. I also need to come up with a stand for it. I really didn’t think the whole thing through so well, and that flimsy plastic hanger isn’t going to cut it for long at all.
It’s certainly not perfect, but hopefully it will do what I need it to do. And it’s already been put to work.
That’s the jacket I’m working on for the Shawl Collar assignment. It’s the original funky fabric that I don’t have enough of and so will not actually be using for its intended purpose. It’s some sort of velvety animal print. But since it was already cut out (all but the front facings since I ran out of fabric for those) I pinned it onto my new dress form to see if I am at least on track with my pattern, which I’m basing on this. It looks really loose, but that’s on purpose because my plan is to wear it with a belt like so:
And now that I see it on Fake Me, I’m kind of bummed that I’m not using that fabric because I really do like it for this project. Especially since when I washed the new fabric today, it totally changed. It was this awesome dotted velvet stuff. But when it washed, all the raised dots went away. Total tease. Now it’s just a plain velvet with nothing special at all. Oh well, hopefully it will turn out anyway, dotless and all. So maybe not what he would have chosen to do with our free time this morning, but it was a really funny project to do with my husband. Other than when I locked my knees and almost passed out. And when the kids walked in on us, no awkwardness at all. Apparently it’s totally normal in my kids’ world for their mother to wear a duct tape unitard. Sorry, no picture of that for you, though. We don’t swing that way.