In my church, babies (and sometimes older children) are given a name and a blessing before the congregation. So I’ve been working on a blessing gown for Ivy. Blessing gowns are just christening gowns, just to clarify the vernacular. Anyway, I’m making one. Slowly.
My normal way to work on a project is to throw it together while ignoring everything and everyone else in my life until it’s completed. Even if I haven’t procrastinated (rare), I still much prefer to see my sewing through to completion all at once. This is why I don’t knit, well, that and the complete lack of talent for it. But having a newborn messes with things, as does a three year old in need of a Jedi sparring partner for his light saber practicing. And so I’ve been working on the gown on a schedule. And I think I kind of like it. The pattern I’m working with is Simplicty 2457, view B. It took me way too long to decide on a fabric for the dress. I wanted something heirloomy and classic, but also locally available. The decision seriously kept me up at night. I finally went with a linen blend. Tell me it was a good choice. Even if it’s not. Please.
Earlier in the week I cut out the tissue pattern pieces. Then I carefully folded them back up and put the envelope aside to make dinner. It felt weird, but right.
Yesterday I cut out the fabric, organized the pieces by specific project (gown, slip, bonnet, shoes), and again, folded them up nicely and put them away for the rest of the day. Today I hope to sew the slip and put in the tucks and pleats for the gown. Even if things are going well, and the baby sleeping, I’m making myself put it up and walk away. Painfully slow, but I’m hoping this way I’ll get better sewing results and my house will stay running relatively smoothly instead of falling to complete chaos while I pound out a project all in one or two days. Wish me luck.