I’ve had the fabric for this top for over a year. I’ve had the idea of exactly how I wanted to make it for over a month. I didn’t get the motivation to actually do anything about it until 11:00 Friday night. But once I decided it was time, there was no way around it. The top must be made!
Because all the kids were in bed and I wanted them to stay that way, I set up my work station at the furthest corner of the house from the bedrooms. My foot pedal became a knee pedal and I did the entire top on my serger, sitting criss-cross-applesauce on my family room floor.And it was super easy and not uncomfortable at all. Granted, this was quite possibly the quickest, most simple garment I’ve ever thrown together for myself. But still, floor sewing? Not as bad as it sounds.
So this was my fabric
It’s some sort of super stretchy lacy stuff. I got it at Fabric.com and it was cheap. I know, a regular font of useful information. But I did take pictures with measurements. With both of my last tops I had people ask how much fabric I started with and I had no idea. So. This fabric? About 45 inches by 26 inches. Sorry that’s all I know about it.
I took the fabric and cut it in halfMeasured about ten inches down for the sleeve openings, marked
And then measured six inches from either end at the top, marked, for the shoulder width and, by default, the neck opening.I folded the two pieces of fabric in half, after matching up the lacey stripes, and used a French curve to trace out a body shapeCut, unfolded, and ended up with something that looked like this
It reminds me of a snow angel.
I serged the side and the shoulders. And that’s it. No finished hems at all. Four seams on the serger. Lickity split. Speaking of which, this baby is super fond of licking my shoulders. And getting her tiny fingers caught in the lacey holes. It’s just a super fun top for the both of us.