My sister text me a couple of months ago and asked how I’d feel making a few Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costumes for Halloween. Her four year old daughter loves TMNT (what the kids are calling the Turtles these days) and was hoping to recruit her baby brother and a couple of cousins to complete the four-turtle set.
So I made four Ninja Turtles, and I feel pretty good about it.
The photo shoot for these did not go as planned. For some odd reason, photographing four young children, two of which are toddlers, in the middle of the street isn’t all that great an idea.
Apparently the appropriateness of getting pictures over a manhole cover with the word “SEWER” was lost on Ivy.
So. We moved things to my sister’s backyard.
For all four turtles, I used Go-To Pattern’s Go-To Leggings (affiliate link) pattern for the bottoms of the costumes. I love this pattern. I’ve made quite a few leggings for Ivy out of it. It’s crazy fast and the fit is spot on. The tops of all four costumes were made using Melinda T from Create Kids Couture. I added cuffs to both the leggings and the tee. The caps were just self-drafted and pretty simple. Basically, I cut two U shapes, and sewed the curves together. Then hemmed the bottoms with the colored knits, leaving extra of the colored fabric to tie in the back. I left the toddlers’ caps solid, since I figured they wouldn’t be too excited about having anything actually pulled down over their faces.
But for the older two, I cut out eye holes and stitched around the openings, to make masks. I really wanted the costumes to be play-ready and comfortable. Knowing how my kids love to sleep in their costumes, I made them as pajama-esqe as possible. All the fabrics are knits, in different shades of green since the “new” TMNT all are differently green hued. After I cut out the pattern pieces for the base of the costumes, I used more knits and referenced images of the Ninja Turtles online to cut out the elbow/knee patches and weapon belts, as well as the shells. The front and back of the shells were embroidered first, with shell-like detail lines, before attaching to the tee pieces. Then I layered the other details, sewing them on before sewing up the actual garments. I tried to add “battle damage” to my son’s (Donatello/The Purple One) by kind of fringing the edges of his shell. I ended up really not liking the result, but he loves it. So I left his with fringy damage, but didn’t bother with the other three.
So here are Raphael, Leonardo, Donatello…
Various knits from Jo-Ann Stores