Let’s work from the bottom up. All three boys got Ottobre slacks, in some bright spring colors. The green twill for Kael and Jonas came from Organic Cotton Plus.
I’ve had it for going on a year now, and it was around this bright green that I based the entire wardrobe palette. Seth’s bright blue twill came from Jo-Ann Stores, as did all the seer sucker for all three shirts.
Seth and Kael’s pants are The Brandon Pant from Ottobre 1/2013. I made the same pattern for Kael last year, and hated pretty much every minute of the process. But the stinking pattern makes for such great-looking slacks, I went back to it again this year. Only this time, I did things my way, not paying attention to the pattern instructions, and things went much more smoothly. Jonas’ pants are Ottobre 6/2009, the Relaxed Pant. I changed things just a bit on all three pair. Jonas’ became shorts (Didn’t have enough fabric for another pair of pants. Plus, little boys in dress shorts=cutest thing ever. Fact.) , and all three boys have a single, no flap,welt pocket on the back. I’m happy with the fit on Jonas and Kael, but I made Seth’s too big. Dumb move on my part, because I know what size I need to make him, but I already has the bigger size pattern traced out from Kael’s pair last year, and got lazy and decided to just use that. Somehow he makes the paperbag look almost work.
Seth and Kael both got Square Root shirts from Ottobre 4/2013. I shortened the sleeves and omitted the pockets and did “real” button plackets, rather than just folding the fabric to the inside as the pattern suggests.
Jonas’ shirt is the Fred Gingham Shirt from Ottobre 6/2009, again with shortened sleeves. I did one chest pocket, and did the “real” button placket on his, too.
His was the reason the other two boys didn’t get chest pockets. It took so ding-dong long to get the plaid all lined up, and then things still got off somehow at the bottom. I was over it and decided to scrap all other shirt pockets. But note how nicely all the plaids line up on the plackets and across the front of the shirts other than that!
I did contrasting collar stands on Seth and Kael’s shirts, and a contrasting undercollar on Jonas’ (his doesn’t have a separate collar stand). The fabric I used is the same as what I made Ivy’s pantalets out of, and what was used to line her dress.
I had very little fabric left after making Ivy’s dress, and cutting out most of Kael’s shirt (out of the same fabric). Desperate to not have to go back to the fabric store, I cut his sleeves with the plaid going in the wrong direction, since that was the only way I could get those pieces out of what I had. I didn’t think it would be a big deal, but it does bother me. Darn it.
Shirt: Square Root Shirt from Ottobre 4/2013 (#38), seer sucker fabric from Jo-Ann Stores
Pants: Brandon Pants from Ottobre 1/2013 (#33), twill fabric from Organic Cotton Plus
Shirt: Square Root Shirt from Ottobre 4/2013(#38), seer sucker fabric from Jo-Ann Stores
Pants: Brandon Pants from Ottobre 1/2013 (#33), twill fabric from Jo-Ann Stores
Shirt: Fred Gingham Shirt from Ottobre 6/2009 (#13), seer sucker from Jo-Ann Stores
Shorts: adapted Relaxed Pants from Ottobre 6/2009, twill from Organic Cotton Plus