Last day of my Hey June love fest, and I am really excited about this one. The Kensington Dress. It is so cute.
This was the second Kensington Dress I made. The first, I ignored the sizing chart and just went with a size 2. Ivy doesn’t wear a size 2 in anything, but I was using some fancy-shmancy imported fabric, and didn’t want to make something she’d quickly outgrow. So I made a Happy Elephant Kensington that ended up pretty much drowning Ivy. But now she has a fun dress waiting for her next year!
The Happy Elephant fabric is by Znok Design, purchased from Kitschy Coo HERE.
I’m not sad about the too-big dress, though. And not just because Ivy will grow into it. I had originally wanted to make a Kensington nearly identical to the striped with floral one featured on the cover of the pattern. Ivy had insisted on the elephant fabric for the first, and then I didn’t have enough of it left over to make a second Kensington. So I used the leftover elephant fabric to make her a dress from another pattern to appease her demands (that I’ll blog about later, and that Ivy is wearing in the pictures with my Union St Tee), and made her the Kensington I had wanted to make her all along, this time in her in actual size.
The blue/white stripe knit is from Girl Charlee and the contrasting woven fabric is Indian Summer leftovers I had from her Clover Shorts I made a few weeks ago. I adore the Indian Summer line, and this particular design is my very favorite, so I was super excited to get to use what little of it had left over in such a prominent, fun way.
The Kensington pattern has a ton of options for sleeve lengths, tee or dress, placket or not, bound neckline, pockets. I had done a really straight-forward, simple Kensington with the elephant fabric, not finding anything in my stash that I liked to go with it. But I love the details the placket and pockets add. So very cute, and just make the dress seem more polished and professional.
The first dress was a super fast sew. The pattern is clear and detailed, easy to follow, and everything came together without an issue at all. The second dress, with the added options, took more time. But the instructions are so good. I struggle with plackets that have that little extended tab at the bottom. They just confuse me to no end and I’ve never had one turn out like I would have liked. Until now. The Kensington instructions walked me through it so well, that I had it finished and looking awesome before I even realized it. I got to the step just before being completely done with the placket, and went back through the instructions to see what I had missed, because I couldn’t believe it had been so easy and it was already done!
And I think, other than how adorable it is, that’s what I like most about this pattern: that it can be as simple or as complicated as you want (and the complicated isn’t that complicated). I can make play dresses and tee shirts for her wardrobe staples, and then add fun pieces like tabbed-sleeved tops and front-placket dresses, all from the same pattern. And the pattern range is 18 m – 10, so we’ll be using it for a long, long time.
You can pick up the Kensington Dress pattern HERE, see all of Hey June Handmade patterns HERE, and see my other posts on the Hey June patterns I’ve sewn by clicking each of these: