My handsome, clever, sweet ten year old decided he needed to be one of his favorite TV characters for Halloween
Montgomery Burns from The Simpsons
We made the mask, tie, slacks and sports coat. For the mask, we first covered his face in tin foil, as he lay on his back. then we layered the tin foil with masking tape, following the curves and angles of his face.
From there, we used more tin foil to build Mr Burns’ features on top of my son’s; the long nose, rounded forehead, and severe overbite. Then we paper mached the entire thing,
followed by a few coats of bright yellow spray paint.
The teeth are white Fimo clay, rolled and baked, then glue-gunned into place.
The plan was to use a store-bought bald cap/wig to finish the look off, but we couldnt’ find one that fit properly. So we just slapped some thick elastic on the thing to hold it on his head, and called it good.
But this is a sewing blog, so let’s discuss the suit, shall we
If I were smart, I would have just made the suit out of felt or something cheap, and done a quick job of it. But I’m not smart. And I love details. Once I decided I wanted to spend the time and effort on the details, I decided I might as well go whole hog, and make the thing as legit as I could.
The jacket is the “Voy Machini” Blazer from Ottobre 6/2014, pattern #40. It’s fully lined, with inside piping and contrast facing. Legit. We thought it would be fun to pay homage to another Simpsons character, Homer, with this donut-print flannel for the facings. I tried to find it in another textile than flannel, but it was this or fleece. So we just went with it.
The pants and jacket are both linen, which means they need regular ironing, which means this suit will forever be wrinkled because I rarely find motivation to iron when not sewing. Sorry, mom. Also, the flannel is a bit flimsy for the blazer pattern. But the color was so perfect, I’m just going to try my best to ignore the floppy lapels.
The tie is a flannel-backed sateen I picked up out of a remnant bin at Jo-Ann. All of the fabric is from Jo-Ann, actually. For the tie pattern, I used one I’ve had for years from Patchwork Kids. I’ve sewn it a few times before, as seen HERE, and knew from experience that it runs super long. Like, ridiculously long. I made a size 6months for Seth. He’s 10. And tall. But other than the length issues, the pattern is fantastic and yields a quick and great-looking tie.
Now, the pants. “Relaxed” Cotton Pants from Ottobre 1/2013, pattern #19. I’ve sewn this pattern up quite a bit, too. In fact, if you follow that same link as above, you can see a couple of pair there. But I’m really proud of this particular pair, because I got the fit so very perfect for my super-hard-to-fit kid.
I had to combine the rise of a 134 with the waist/hips of a 122 with the length of a 152. Tall and so skinny. But the fit is fantastic! He doesn’t even need a belt!
Gah! So happy.
We carried the flannel donuts from the jacket into the pockets on the trousers. And I didn’t get a picture, but I also used the same piping for the inside of the waistband. And it looks amazing. Just trust me.
An atomic symbol lapel pin tops the whole costume off (Mr. Burns owns a nuclear power plant). We found the pin on eBay.
The perfect suit for Mr. Burns, and an easy transition to non-costume wear, as well. Old Monty has never looked so good!
Smithers, release the hounds!