A month or so ago, the kids and I were sitting around discussing Halloween costumes. I asked the younger three what they wanted to be, and didn’t think much of the 14 year old, assuming he was too old. I assumed wrong. After the other three finished detailing their costume plans, the teenager piped up with his request. I admit, I floundered. I kind of assumed I was done making costumes for him. He’s gone out trick-or-treating with friends the last couple of years, but last year he was happy to throw together something last minute. I expected the same this year. But no. He had plans and requests. Big ones. Detailed ones.
Corvo Attano from the Dishonored video game series. Yeah, I didn’t know who he was, either.
The kid already had the hair. All I had to do was make the costume. No big deal, right?
I started with Simplicity 8235 . It was a fantastic launching point, and I was excited when I found it. I had to make quite a few changes and additions, but it got me so much closer to the end product than I went in expecting a pattern to do for me. So yay for that!
I started by opening up the jacket. Corvo’s jacket doesn’t close at the bottom at all, so I trimmed the pattern to allow for that.
The body of the jacket has a panelled area that I added. For the closure, I added an inside fly with Velcro, so that the buttons aren’t functional. You can also see here that I ran out of gold ribbon for the trim. One side has the ribbon double down the side, as in the rendering of Carvo, and the other does not. Oh well.
There is a separate back yoke, and what I have learned are called gun flaps at the chest added.
The trickest part for me was the collar. The rendering shows a very high collar ending in sort of epaulettes at the front shoulders. My brain had a hard time figuring out the design. I ended up using the pattern’s included collar as the collar stand, then adding another of the same height, with extended “tabs” arcing out to form the epaulettes. I’m pretty sure I didn’t do it “right”. But it looks right enough, so I’m happy.
I also extended the sleeve panels to go up to the elbow rather than mid forearm.
The other addition to the jacket was the gold trim. Again, I ran out. The front lapel area doesn’t have the double trim detail on the one side, as mentioned before. And then the back of the character rendering has a cool geometric detail in the lower back center that I had to omit, instead laying the trim straight across the back, though I was able to add the smaller square details at the sides with the trim.
My son is very into cosplay, and I’m assuming this costume will get a fair amount of wear, which is part of why I spend the time and money on it. My plan is to pick up some more gold ribbon later and add the missing trimming. I bought all my local store had, so I need to wait for them to restock first. In the meantime, I’m doubting most will notice or even know it’s missing. But I do, and I’d like to fix it.
The jacket itself is made of cotton sateen, which is super easy to work with, but drapes and wears well.
For the underlayer, the Corvo has a sort of, I don’t know, straight jacket-like shirt…thing. I went into this costume wanting to make it really detailed and do a decent job of things. But honestly, by the time I finished the jacket, I was kind of done mentally. And running out of time. So I skipped some things on the shirt, since the jacket covers it all anyway. First of all, my local Jo-Ann didn’t have any light grey or off-white shirting. They did, however, have this darker grey cotton sateen in the remnant bin. Close enough. I skipped the sleeves. The remnant wasn’t big enough to allow for sleeves, and it saved a ton of time not adding them. Plus, my son runs pretty warm, and I think this will be more comfortable for him.
I also skipped facings. I actually regret this. It makes things look so very homemade, and the snaps probably won’t last long without the extra fabric to hold them.
I used the same pattern as the jacket, Simplicity 8235 again. I added a “skirt” to the shirt/vest, to get the same “open” look of the bottom of the shirt in the rendering. I also made changes to the collar, extending it up and bringing it together in the front. Then I added black pleather straps. Not exactly the same as the rendering, but I feel like the look is there. Plus, I didn’t have a bunch of buckles laying around to add to things, so I made do with few straps and KAM snaps.
Finally, I added the hood to the vest at the collar, from the inside. The hood was part of the pattern, but I omitted the front “patch” piece, and added a lining.
Then all I had to do was make the belts. Straps of pleather were added to the sleeves of the jacket, another as a bandolier across the chest and back. The main belt is another area where I skimped and probably should go back and revisit after Halloween when I have more time. I just did a single layer of unreinforced pleather, and it is pretty flimsy and looks cheap. But I have a lot more pleather, so I can definitely make another, better belt later. I also made the small ammo bag out of pleather. But with the belt so flimsy, I’ve warned my son to just leave it empty for now. Not that he has ammo, but you know, just in case. The jacket has pockets as part of the pattern, so he has places to put his wallet and phone anyway.
He is thrilled with the costume, which means I’m happy, too. He has always been gratifying to sew costumes for, and now that it’s done, I’m glad he wanted me to make him another this year.